In May 2014 I compared home prices along the west side of Mopac, from the lake up to 183, divided up into 4 areas:
• Tarrytown – Lake Austin Blvd to 35th St, Lake Austin to Mo-Pac
• Highland Park West / Balcones Area – 35th to 2222, Mt. Bonnell Dr. to Mo-Pac
• 1A South – 2222 to Spicewood Springs, 360 to Mo-Pac
• 1A North – Spicewood Springs to 183, 360 to Mo-Pac
Here is an update on that analysis, with full year data for prior years and year-to-date (through September 15) data for 2016.
1. The strongest $ / sq ft appreciation since 2010 has been in Tarrytown (46+%). 1A “North” was over 42% (Highland Park West and 1A South each came in ~38%).
2. The relationship between 1A North and 1A South has been consistent over the years, about 8-9% premium for 1A South over 1A North (2016 YTD has shrunk to just 3%).
3. Tarrytown sold price / sq ft has generally commanded a 20-25% premium over Highland Park West / Balcones Area, though more volatile, likely due to fewer transactions. The premium was 18% in 2015, but 2016 YTD is 27%.
If you are interested in more of this kind of information, please feel free to contact me with questions, or something you would like to see in this article in the future.