At the end of the summer I like to provide a comparison of the summer buying season with past years. I use the dates corresponding to the AISD summer schedule, which this year lasted from May 25th – August 19th. Here are some highlights as well as table and graph for a sense of the trends.
- Number of transactions was lower than the previous 2 years, despite the summer break being a week longer than prior years tracked here
- Median list and sold prices were lower than 2018, with median sold prices down over 7% vs. 2018
- Median days on market was consistent with 2018 and indicative of strong demand for the neighborhood
- Active listings continue to decline, with 25-30% fewer active listings this summer season vs. 2018
- July had fewer transactions than previous years (down 35 – 40% vs. previous Julys)
Note: All data comes from the Austin Board of Realtors’ MLS report, reflecting activity through August 19, 2019.